Great Baddow Parish Council represents a population of about 15,000 people and provides many facilities, including meeting places, sports and recreation facilities and cemeteries. We are a long-established parish council and celebrated our centenary in 1994. Despite Great Baddow being classified as part of urban Chelmsford, residents still identify strongly with it as a village and one of the Council’s main aims is to foster our village identity and community spirit.
There are over 30 listed buildings in Great Baddow and there is a conservation area at the heart of the village. Major housing developments from the fifties onwards have contributed to its present size and there has been a long association with Marconi and later BAE Systems. A former Chain Home Radar transmitter tower is a prominent feature on the outskirts of the village, where it has been used by Marconi and BAE to test equipment, and is represented on our village sign.
3rd November 2019
Great Baddow Chain Home Tower Given Listed Building Status
The tower, on the site of the former Marconi Research Centre at Great Baddow (now BAe Systems Advanced Technology Centre), was added to the list of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest on 24th October 2019 with Grade II status. We were delighted to support the application for this listing, having also supported previous efforts. It is a prominent landmark in Great Baddow and was chosen to feature on our village sign, acknowledging its prominence in the Great Baddow scene.
It was part of Britain's early warning radar network during World War II and was relocated to the Great Baddow site from Canewdon in 1954.
Watch out for more details of the tower's history in the next edition of the Great Baddow Times.